Slice of Teaching #18

Finally: two napping children and time enough to sip a cup of coffee and think through my bucket list for Spring Break.

I love this idea. I picked it up a few years ago through Angela Watson’s Truth for Teachers podcast, and I’ve found it makes a difference in how I come back from a break. Unstructured time is lovely, but I’ve whiled away enough vacations on social media and Netflix binges to know those things don’t really recharge me.

Dedicating some time to dreaming up activities that actually nourish me is twice the good:

• I organize my time around what matters, and
  • I get the vicarious enjoyment of planning and anticipating PLUS the experiences themselves.

So: my list.

1. Write in my favorite coffee shop.
  2. Walk to my other favorite coffee shop (and walk home with a croissant, of course).
  3. Get 8 hours of sleep each night. (This will be hard. Those 10:30 blog posts will have to sneak up earlier.)
  4. Invest in the last few business clothes I need – and actually take the time to go shopping to pick them!
  5. Drop off some donations I’ve been neglecting.
  6. Make memories with the kids. (Aquarium – check. Zoo – scheduled.)
  7. Make the time for a belated Pi Day anniversary date.
  8. Go to church (at least once), even if we don’t make it through an entire Mass. #toddlerlife

More may appear in the next few days, but this feels like a very manageable start!

Published inLifeWriting Challenges

9 Comments

1. eddiehren

Great idea. There was a time when planning and prepping for relaxation would have been hilarious to even think about but here we are! I just might steal this idea from you next week when our break hits so thank you and good luck!

• mellyteaches

It seemed silly until I tried it. Life comes at you pretty fast, and I’m awful at saving time for myself when it does! Hope your last week before a breather is smooth.

2. Glenda Funk

Sounds as though you have a good emphasis on self-care . Love the focus on coffee shops. They can be such relaxing spaces.

• mellyteaches

There’s something soothing about being around others’ conversations or productivity, but separate from it. It’s a good flow.

3. Leigh Anne Eck

I love this idea, and with my break this week, I may have to borrow it. I had to chuckle at #8 because our children are grown and this brought back memories.

• mellyteaches

Mine are in a very hands-on phase (three years and ten months), but there’s so much sweetness in this time, too.

I hope you have a good last week and come up with some recharging plans for you!

4. svalter

I love this idea and may definitely have to steal (though one kid down with Covid is suddenly making our list very short for a bit). Sounds like you have an amazing break planned!

5. Anonymous

Would love to hear which two are your favorite coffee shops! -Tracy

• mellyteaches

Shop #1 is Kaldi’s on Demun for maximum working vibes, and Shop #2 is Winslow’s Home. It’s a respectable-but-manageable walking distance from home and the kids both recognize it as “the cookie store.”