Slice of Teaching #30: Starting Over

My College Prep group of seniors is racing toward the finish line of their third piece: the scholarship essay.

I structure the class so it’s practical and preparatory in multiple ways: we write five essays in sixteen weeks, giving them the chance to develop work habits, and also literally write the pieces that launch them into college! (Application essays were the weeks before Spring Break.)

We did a quick whip-around at the start of class today to share out what we needed to make our class deadline on Friday and our real-world deadline this weekend.

‘Time.”

“Time.”

“Time.”

“I need to lock in and do it!”

“Hit submit.” (“you’re done?! Go you! I’m jealous.”)

“Some feedback.”

And my answer? “I need to start over.”

They know I’m also working on applications for grants and awards, so admitting that’s where I am in my own process is (I hope) comforting. We spent the rest of the hour today in the mess of our drafts, theirs on Chrome screens, mine projected in all its messy glory to spy on as they work.

Published inTeachingWriting Challenges

2 Comments

1. Sarah Valter

I absolutely love how you’ve positioned yourself as a writer and are so transparent about your process in front of your students! Where was this class (and teachers like you) when I was in high school?

2. Anonymous

Good classroom vibes 🙂 I’ve enjoyed blogging with you this month! -Tracy